Friday, May 17, 2013


I just finished Axe Cop volume 1,2,3, and Hawkeye: My Life as a Weapon volume 1. When you are flying cross country there is a little bit of time on your hands, and I am a fast reader. 

Axe Cop was downright FABULOUS! Freaking bad to the bone!
 I loved volume 2 that was in color and told in three part episodic story arc, which veered from volumes 1 and 3 which were web comic style. 
Vol. 1 and 3 are also Interjected with the "Ask Axe Cop" question and answers that had me laughing out loud on a full plane. (For those of you that have heard me laugh...it is not a a quiet adventure.) 
The volumes read quick and easy. The story is fun and delightful and definitely makes one yearn for the day when our imaginations would just randomly go wild with no interference of adulthood. I definitely recommend picking up all three volumes.
Axe Cop is also available on the web comic site so you can experience a daily dose of chopping off heads and Axe Cop and his crew hitting the night scene in their cat suits to defeat sleeping bad guys! This stuff is just great! : axecop.com

Volume 1 in print Dark Horse 

Volume 2 in print Dark Horse

Volume 3 in print Dark Horse


Hawkeye, My life as a Weapon Volume 1, (Published by Marvel) was definitely a far cry different from Axe Cop. 
Volume 
 Personally I enjoy different. So this was right up my alley. The art was not your daily average comic book art. With David Aja and Javier Pulido as the artists - it is an adventure just to dive into the artistry. Matt Hollingsworth pulls some amazing play with the color art as well. All in all, Hawkeye, is a great example of how all parts of a comic need to work together to tell a story. Not just the story lines, which is told by Matt Fraction and is great, but subtle clues and hints through the flow of drawn lines and corresponding shades of similar color.





The story is raw and gritty.  Not what you would expect from Hawkeye.  Barton has a dark side, but there is a reason and S.H.I.E.L.D. is willing to use a self made hero who knows no boundaries.  I was definitely surprised! 
I also enjoyed getting to know the character (ex-Young Avenger) Kate Bishop in a different light, which is more complex.
I will be heading out to the nearest comic book shop to pick up the additional Hawkeye: Little Hits Volume 2
This just goes to show there is humor in all things!


No comments:

Post a Comment